April 24, 2014

So You Have Written A Book, Now What?

So you have written a book, now what? That is the question of the hour. I have learned that what happens next is as extensive and as time intensive (if not more) as the writing process. You have to keep the momentum going. So many questions; so many directions - where should you go? Self publishing? Self assisted publishing, traditional publishing? Get an agent; Don't get an agent? 

I am no expert on the matter. I simply said yes to an assignment God gave to me. Now, my thought is this, "If He gave me the assignment, He will make provision. The path will become clear. Doors will open, doors will close; but all at His will." 

I am doing my due diligence. I am putting in the work, but along with that I pray (often), I listen, and I wait. When I clearly hear His voice, I move. Sometimes I hear nothing; I just find myself in places and know that it is a divine arrival, or a divine appointment. He orchestrates and I am fine with that. 

Everyone's process is not the same, and while it is important to glean from others; it is equally important to only take away from their experience the piece that God has given to them to help you on your journey. To carry any more than that can create burdens of indecision or missteps. 

Trust God. Do your research. Have the conversations. Proofread, proofread, proofread. Write the query letters and proposals. Follow submission guidelines. Submit your manuscript. You may never feel comfortable about releasing it, but you have to let it go. Feelings of vulnerability are normal. Do not let them stop you. Understand that rejections will come, but remain optimistic. God will accomplish purpose through you. Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment